30.12.09

s.i.m.t.u. 4

I HAVE NO POWER!
says norm stadler, in kona in 2005 after his title defense hopes were dashed.
and so says i, in seoul in 2009 after one my longs run was annihilated.

me, i didn't have two flat tires like norm, obviously.

instead, i was running on ice.
and running on ice is about like you can imagine it.
there is about %.147832 of the traction you would get on asphault or concrete.
i'm not sure exactly how to elaborate, but just imagine or remember if you were walking on ice.
now, multiply that by say 3 or 4.
running, for me, depends so much on the lift of my knee back and up, thus the foresole of my shoe tracts and backwards and upwards.
i ran for 1 hour, but planned for approx. 2.5
after 1 hour, my heart rate was too high, my pace was too slow, my muscles and tendons felt different (from different hardness of the ice).
after an hour of trying to keep my pace where it should be, but at times not even able to keep myself moving forward, i had to call it quits for today.

ugh.

it's frustrating.
i was so set on a long run today, and i so needed one to stay on some semblance of a training plan.
and long runs over my holiday would give me so much more free time to recover well.

maybe i should get snow chains for my running shoes.
i wonder if they make those.
i mean, those winter triathlon guys must have something special, right?

usually, i don't bow to minor elements of nature when it comes to training.
but i think mother nature has bested me this time.

oh, well.
just a speedbump on the long road.

i've still got about 3 months to the race, and i've already made significant progress for me.

in related news:
i might do a half-marathon 3 weeks before my full marathon.
i found a big run on the last day of february in southern korea.
they have a 5k, 10k, half-marry, 30k and full marry course.
i just need a korean friend to help me sign up for it on the all-korean website.
i think it would be a good set-up race for my full marathon.
three weeks between is great time to rest and prep and whatnot, too.
it would also give me a better gauge at how to attack a long running race.

more news on that to come soon.

anyway, i think the rest of today will be set aside for sulking in defeat.
i asked for a cold winter when i moved to korea, and i guess i got it.
i guess i forgot that with a cold, precipitate winter comes plenty of snowpack and ice on the ground.

happy training,

jo







No comments:

Post a Comment