2.11.09

seoul international marathon training update #2

another 'non-traditional' post.

this one with a purpose.

that purpose?

my training sojourn towards my first full marathon.
a complete 26.2 miles.
or 42.2k for the metric-minded.

so i don't remember where i left off last time.
maybe something about posting my training log online?
that obviously hasn't come to fruition.
i can't allow myself to do with how many sick days have littered the past two weeks.
it's embarrassing.
but i guess i can't completely help getting sick and stuff.

anyway. training is coming along.
but not at the pace i've planned for myself unfortunately.
i hope i can change that as now i feel it's more important than ever to stay on track.
the race is sometime mid-march.
so i've got some 18 weeks to train.
i guess not enough time (considering my actual skills at running and given background in the sport) to run with the pros, but enought time to train for a successful finish.
when i say 'successful,' i guess i really mean 'any.'

cold weather training is going to be tough.
bundling up can be quite uncomfortable for me.
seeing as how am i boy who used to run in only shorts and shoes down in the alabama sun.
but i should get my first taste tomorrow morning.
weather predictions are forecasting for the 6 o' clock hour temperatures between -4 and 1 degree celsius.
that's between 25 and 33 degrees, to the layman.
not too terribly cold, but cool enough.

i'll cut to the chase.
the biggest thing to happen since training update #1:
my personal advent of the garmin 405.
i actually know where i'm running now.
and i can log all my runs on garmin connect.
how convenient!
and this little wrist-top computer (it's more than a watch) gives me more information about my running than i'd ever really want to know.
i mean, it will give me my current altitude.
is that necessary?
absolutely not.
is it sweet as hell?
entirely so.

mostly, it's just good to know exactly how far i'm running since i had no way of measuring.
running by time is always an option.
but i feel more comfortable running distance.
since i'm shooting for a set distance with a marathon, i think it makes more sense, too.
i have no idea what kind of time i'll put up but i know how many miles/km i'm going to run.
so i can prepare that way.

i wish i had some stepping stone races along the way to give me shorter term goals.
mental jerky:
should i simulate races along the way?
maybe a 10k or a half marathon?
or both?

if you're experienced with endurance training, feedback would be cool.
that means if you're in the alabama tri club, tell me something good.
i think the chances are slim of anybody else with exposure to endurance sports reading this.

anyway. i need to go study some korean.
and de-brief from the season 2 finale of lost.
(OMGZ!!!1)

happy training.

and lots of love,

jo

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I haven't blog stalked you in a while, but I have to comment on this considering the content.

    First - super excited about you becoming a marathoner. I swear the training is about 5 times harder than the actual race, so enjoy! I wasn't speedy and I was semi-injured, but my race was still the best part of the whole ordeal. It was so great I've already got my eyes on the Minneapolis Marathon (06/06).

    Second - I highly recommend adding in some races during your training - 10Ks, halfs, even 5Ks - they keep you going and then (I think) you get a better feel for your current racing ability. Besides, you can't skip a run if you've paid for it....

    Third - I miss you. It seems so weird that you are over in Korea. I mean, I didn't see you when you were in the States, but still. I'm oddly jealous of you but at the same time completely comfortable living in WI. I hope you are having a super awesome time, sorry I'm no good at keeping in touch!

    Sending you good luck hugs and extra strong runner legs!
    -Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh! I just wrote you a lovely comment and it disappeared! Blah!

    Anywho it said something like this...

    I haven't blog stalked you in a while but I figured I can comment on this post considering the content.

    First - I'm super excited for you to become a super awesome marathon runner! The training is five times harder than the race, so enjoy that! I wasn't very speedy and semi-injured for my race and it was still the best part. So good that I've already got my eye on the Minneapolis Marathon (06/06). Totally worth everything!

    Second - I highly recommend throwing in some races as part of your training - 10Ks, halfs, or even 5Ks - they get you racing and you can't skip a run if you are paying for it! See if you can find a long distance race (18-20 miles). I had a 20 mile "race" and it made a world of difference in my training.

    Third - I miss you. It seems weird that you are over in Korea. I mean, I didn't see you when you were in the States, but still.... I hope you are having an amazing time in Korea.

    I'm sending you telepathic good luck hugs and super strong running legs!

    -Heidi

    ReplyDelete