11.11.09

s.i.m.t.u. 2.1/every damn day just do it

so i guess i'll throw in a few more notes about training.

i think i've finally got my sleep schedule down.
::knocks on wood::
they say the third time is the charm.
since i've been here i haven't been consistent with a training schedule.
this led to a lot of runs moved from one day to another.
should be fixed.
we'll see tomorrow.
i have a rest day, but i should still wake up a little early.

pretty chilly run this morning.
pretty windy too. i guess that was most of the bite.
i guess i'll have to get used to it at this time of year.
it's only getting worse.

and so is this whole sunlight issue.
i usually get going around 06:00 local time. mauybe a few minutes after.
so i usually finish around 07:00 local.
and nowadays i finish my run without direct sunlight.
really the only significant difference in lighting from when i start and when i finish is that the street lights cut out and the stars disappear.
i presume in a few weeks once my standard runs become longer and the sun rises later i'll finish around 07:30 or later and still be in the dark.
and freezing my toosh off.
oh well.
i've always said i wanted an actual cold winter.
now i'm about to get it.

crazy little thing happened the other day.
so in korea, advertisement is crazy.
people advertise like you wouldn't believe.
mostly in the form of fliers and free samples stapled to the flyer (if applicable).
and so this past saturday i was out running my long run where they are essentially building a town from scratch.
and they're getting close to finishing all the amenities.
like a hair salon.
for men.
and these cute little korean girls certainly let me know.
because one girl seriously handed me a a flyer with a sample of hair gel attached.
i saw her kinda mosey my direction as i was headed up the street.
i figured she was just jockeying for better position for actual potential customers.

i was sadly mistaken.
she was maneuvering into the prime spot to drop a flyer and packet of hair gel into my hands.

and i took it.
i didn't know what to do.
i guess i could have just let it fall.
but i think i was just so astounded by this girl's audacity to actually hand me an ad.
and it's not like i didn't look like an actual runner:
i don't wear socks;
i wear short shorts;
i wear technical tops;
i sometimes (as on this day) wear those sweatvac caps;
i feel like my gait and pace also usually set me aside from average runners.

i'm not saying i'm roger bannister, but i'd set myself only slightly above average.

so for like 50 meters i ran with this flyer/hair gel sample in my right hand.
and as soon as i saw a bus stop and accompanying bench,
i found a nice home for that little flyer/hair gel sample.

the nerve of some people.

anyway.
side note before i leave:
the second half of this post's title is another shirt i saw a korean wearing one day.
and yes it was a nike shirt and a shirt i so deeply wish i owned.

time for some grub.
and some lost.
and some reading.

::sighs::

lots of love,

jo

2 comments:

  1. sleep schedule :
    CONGRATULATIONS
    some people never get that. that your previous messed up your running schedule seems to have been the problem

    propaganda is rampant everywhere.
    runners are kind of weird though, not ever wanting to hold anything, i used to fold up my LS tee around one arm once i got too warm for it. & ended up carrying one like that for the final 14-15 miles of my marathon because the person that was going to grab stuff for me got lost.
    ... re your encounter: maybe she didn't like the cap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. blogs do indeed need comments.

    i'm afraid that my current week of holiday has successfully obliterated the schedule i previously maintained. i'll find out in a few days.

    yeah, i don't know how to prepare for my marathon, in terms of gear. it's at the beginning of spring so it could be pretty cool or a little warm. that and i've never run one before. additionally, i'm not sure if i'll have anybody to grab my gear from me.

    how could she not like the cap? it was a USAT hat.

    ReplyDelete